Monday, December 23, 2013

Noël a Paris: The Glamour, The Glitter

Noël: Paris when it glitters.

         Never mind what the song writers say.  Of course I love April in Paris and even in the summer when it sizzles, but most of all I love Paris in December when it dazzles.
       It's impossible not to be swept up into the wonderful wonderland that is Paris at Noël. It's the moment when the city dresses up. It sparkles, it gleams, it explodes with exuberant bursts of lights and color. Store windows compete, each one with tableaux of fantasy and artistry more clever than the next. In every arrondissement streets shimmer and glow. 



        In fact, we are off to Paris in a few minutes to have lunch and take in the sights. Maybe we'll do a little shopping. Maybe not. It really doesn't matter. 

There is nothing like Paris to whisk away any lingering holiday humbug humor.

      
     And, speaking of glamor and all that glitters and glows, if perchance you are in Paris right-this-second or if you have plans to be here before February 16, you must not miss the extraordinary Cartier exhibition at the Grand Palais. 

The Duchess of Windsor's flamingo.

Grace Kelly wearing her 10.47 emerald cut engagement ring.

Heiress Barbara Hutton's leopards.
            Not only can one revel in the superb artistry of the Cartier family and its significant contribution to the decorative arts, but also its influence on tastes and social codes. It's also, if you pardon my saying so, a gossipy glimpse into the lives of the rich and famous from queens and socialites to movie stars and the nouveax très, très riches


A leisurely tour is  on my January calendar. I'll report back.

9 comments:

Sam Hoffer @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

Cartier designed such elegant jewels. Think how delightful it must have been to chose one of these gorgeous baubles from your personal collection. My father and grandfather were jewelers and I grew up appreciating pretty things.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family Tish,
xxoo
Sam

LPC said...

Ah, Tish, I spent New Year's Eve, at the end of 1979, in Paris. Had my first truffles, atop some poulet de Bresse. The whole city froze, all the fancy party-goers traveled by Metro, it was glorious. Thanks for the sense memory.

Jen Lawrence said...

What a fabulous exhibit! Paris at Christmas looks gorgeous.

Flora Fascinata said...

At a 'certain age' I became engaged. Having living in Africa, Mr Fascinata was fanatical about buying a conscience free diamond. I now have a Cartier heart shaped 'You're Mine' ring. The ring is on my finger each day at the chalkface where I do all sorts of things setting up cooking and craft classes. Papier-mâché mâché anyone...I often have a little muse to myself that I am wearing the hardest-wearing Cartier in the world. LOL. Cartier also gives you a 'social life' with purchase, you get an endless supply of cocktail invitations to the store with amazing canapés and Champagne! The more I learn about their history the more I appreciate. X

Jacqui said...

Et vous en avez acheté combien?��

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Enjoy each moment, Tish and have a joyous Christmas week! May Paris put on a glorious show for you!

That's Not My Age said...

Joyeux Noel, Tish. Paris looks fabulous all year round but we spent New Year's Eve in the city once once and it was stunning. I would love to see the Cartier exhibition - I'll let you know if I make it over, maybe we could meet for a coffee (?)

Have a very happy holiday.

Jackie @ travelnwrite said...

Merry Christmas from the less dazzling Pacific Northwest! I am your newest blogger/follower having found you through our mutual friend, Heather in Provence. I've ordered your book (which was available on Amazon yesterday in hardback) and signed up to follow your blog. Next year at this time, I'll tell you how both have improved this 60-year-old-travel-blogger-femme. . .until then, "Cheers!"

Tish Jett said...

Ha! If only. No, I didn't buy anything and the Cartier I did have -- two rings, a tank watch, two bracelets (no stones in any of the above except for the little cabochon sapphire on the watch) were stolen in the break-in.

Yes, Christmas in Paris is truly, truly magic. I highly recommend it.

Jackie, I can't think of a nicer way to meet than through the absolutely adorable Heather. Thank you too for ordering my book. I hope you enjoy it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...