Thursday, December 19, 2013

Cadeaux de Noël: House & Garden


           

Let's be perfectly clear. . . it's not as if I could seriously compete in this board game because my French and probably my general culture would not be up to the standards of other (French) players, however I find the idea of this gift absolutely fantastic, particularly in 2013/almost 2014. From the famous publishing house, Gallimard, for 35 Euros one can buy a game to play with friends and family -- two to six players -- (from 14-years-old) -- and learn more about literature, art, history, songs, the cuisine and even sports for those who might not be able to make points on some of the finer points. Maybe it's sort of the French version of Trivial Pursuit, but I sort of doubt it.

    Just for fun, a collection of this and that I thought most of us would like to open as either a hostess gift or find nestled under the tree. From the simple to the semi-sumptuous -- I didn't include anything off, off the charts price wise, but now that I'm thinking about it maybe I will in the days to come.





While concentrating on the game above, we wouldn't want to leave the bottle of champagne open to lose the bubbles now would we? I really would like this silver champagne cork from Ercuis, 110 Euros.

Ambiance is what makes the season bright, n'est ce-pas? For those of you who know me well, you know I am addicted to Diptyque candles. This year's Noel scent is "Ecorce de Pin" or pine bark, with a few other aromas thrown in. It is divine, trust me and it not only smells delicious, but it also gives off an unexpected and enchanting glow. And, for a soft, pretty pastel bouquet, how about these barely blushing anemones from the famous Paris florist, Hervé Chatelain?
         My Reason-For-Living-In-France (MRFLIF) and I have been spending an inordinate amount of time hanging around the Place Vendôme, specifically Mauboussin, to try to get them to go back into their archives to prove the purchase of my diamond wedding ring, sapphire guard, and Nadia engagement ring to show to the insurance "expert" who will come to our house to tell us to what extent jewelry loses its value before deciding how much our policy will give us. (I'm referring to the break-in of almost three weeks ago when all my jewelry was stolen.)

         In other words, I've been looking at lots of jewelry, but mostly in a curious, dispassionate sort of way. I've always liked objects that sparkle.

Speaking of divine. . . how about these velvet slippers from Roger Vivier, 450 Euros?
         All right then, back on subject: a few cadeaux for your entertainment pleasure.

        A demain for more gifts.

12 comments:

Karena Albert said...

Tish the game sounds wonderful! I wish I spoke French! Also love the silver champagne cork!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

How distressing that your jewelry was stolen.
One never quite recovers from that event. I still pine for pieces of inherited jewelry that could never be replaced.
I hope you can get a decent settlement from the company.

We have a much more pedestrian version of the stopper and they really do work!

Murphy said...

I love those pink shoes, but I think the candle is more in my price range!

That's Not My Age said...

The slippers and the candle are gorgeous. I hope you sort out your insurance claim soon & can replace the pieces you lost.

Jen Lawrence said...

Love the stopper. How distressing about your ring. I hope they are able to make things right.

Duchesse said...

Hope your insurance wrangles resolve in your favour!

Just a bit of advice: When you do replace, photograph the receipt and appraisal and store on your computer (backed up on the cloud or other back up) or on a usb key stashed in your safety deposit box.) Sorry to be pedantic and boring about this but I have been through it.

D. A. Wolf said...

Oh what fun to imagine these gifts... Especially the board game! (What can I say. I'm a nerd at heart.)

As for Vivier... Glorious, though person element, I'd take his amazing heels!

xo

Emm said...

Backing up what Duchesse said, it's a good idea to keep a photo record of what's in your house and closet, especially if there are old or valuable items. Not just against theft, but earthquake, fire, whatever the gods throw at us.

On a cheerier note, love the hot pink slippers.

Studio Cottage said...

I have just finished reading your book and I LOVED it.
It's not what you have in your wardrobe but how you wear it. It was a great read.

Tish Jett said...

Thank you for the insurance advice. I know you're right. It is so discouraging after "a certain age" to have to learn things the hard way. C'est la vie I suppose.

I'm so very glad you liked the book. Thank you.

peggybraswell said...

as far as the Christmas gifts go, I would love to have any of them + especially those pink shoes. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com + ps. great advise about photographing everything.

sara tardiff said...

It is so true they are just material objects, but it is hard to replace the sentimental value.

However, the items you picked are lovely! Diptyque is a favorite of mine.

the worldling

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...