Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Moveable Fete

       
You see? You are completely decorated for the holidays, you become a moveable fete. The dress is in Merino wool, and made to be worn "close to the body" according the the designer. 
           Let's imagine, just for fun, one or two Christmas scenarios:

           1.) You really don't feel like decorating the house this year. In fact, you may not do more than a couple of poinsettia plants, maybe a few branches plunked into a cachepot with some lights if you can find them -- or perhaps not. But you might still make a slight effort setting the table. Probably.

           2.)  Or, let's say you see Noël as "your" holiday. The actual celebration gives you the legitimate opportunity to do what you do best: decorate, decorate, decorate. Then wrap, wrap, wrap -- with care of course, with maybe a theme in the paper and ribbon for that special "look" you envision.  Then there's the table.  And, let us not forget, getting all dressed up yourself.

These Art Deco earrings, which are no longer available, give you an idea of an accessory that  stays on message. Bows make you think of gifts don't they?

          Either way, I think I have an idea to brighten the festivities by adding a soupçon of glittery glamor.

          Think of yourself as a Christmas tree, one that comes already decorated. I would suggest though that you add, as we used to say in the fashion biz, some "important" earrings, and shoes that show you mean business.

          These dresses, embroidered with sequinned baubles by Marcus Lupfer , are all you need. Maybe the gray for a "casual" invitation, the black for a big event. Imagine how many years you'll own these frocks. You can't really wear them for Easter for example. Although I think you can stretch the "appropriateness" into New Year's Eve. Actually, you probably should.

         I do not think it would be beyond the realm of possibility that, if you stand still with your flute of champagne, people will place cadeaux at your feet.

         

13 comments:

D. A. Wolf said...

These dresses make me smile, Tish! And I must say, this year, I'm falling into Category 1... no doubt. (A still undecorated tree stands in my little den, and I know I won't get to it until tonight or possibly tomorrow. There is literally one poinsettia set in front of the fireplace in the living room (but beautiful), and the antique porcelain bowl with ornaments on an old table by the front door.

That's it! There's been no time, no time, no time. I feel more like the White Rabbit than a messenger bring glad tidings of Noel!

So I love the idea of a dress that also serves as accessory!

However, being Lilliputian, I daresay I would do better in the simple black dress and with two ornaments dangling from my ears. Hmmm. Come to think of it. That may work... That, and a tree decorated in white lights and a few pine cones, and leave it at that...

Bisous.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Pine cones covered in gold glitter, a few sprigs of holly and some fresh boughs. Candles everywhere and a Charlie Brown Xmas tree. That's it we are done.
I wore a black sequinned top bow toed flats and black skinny jeans last night and felt very festive.
Those dresses are a bit of whimsy and those earrings are swoon worthy!
Ready or not Christmas will be here very soon.
Seasons Greetings.
Hostess
XO

une femme said...

I'm just beginning to think about doing a bit of festive decorating. Not doing (yet), just thinking about it. ;-)

Magical Daydream said...

The sequins embroidery is just the perfect finishing to make the dress pop, so cute!

Mary Lou Peters said...

I have just placed your book under my Christmas tree--a gift to myself from me (and you!) Can't wait to read it--no one is telling me to wait, but I just want to savor the excitement for a few days...

Eleanorjane said...

LOVE those earrings!

I'm somewhere inbetween those two scenarios - I'm doing the best I can to be festive in-between frantic work days. I think the full-out fussing demands retirement to actually give you time for it all.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I admit I over decorate! But the season brings me so much joy, that I would be depressed if I didn't. My family also expects it...but I love it and always grieve taking it down. If I keep faithful to working out, maybe next year I would wear the black one!! Merry Christmas!

Heather Robinson said...

I am in the midst of drop-kicking myself (not an easy feat mind you) out of category 1 and into 2. But if I could have presents at my feet I do believe it would help...

Duchesse said...

I bought a more casual version of that dress, a J Crew jeweled sweater, and love it!
http://www.jcrew.com/womens_special_shops/weartoworkshop/sweaters/PRDOVR~08663/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20+225~~~0~15~all~mode+matchallany~~~~~jeweled%20sweater/08663.jsp?isSaleItem=true&isFromSearch=true

Tish Jett said...

The idea of the dress is so much fun. It is a sure show-stopper.

In my opinion there is no such thing as over decorating for the holidays although this year it's just MRFLIF, Charlotte and me so it's been a struggle to muster up the spirit of the season.

Awww, Mary Lou that is so, so sweet. Thank you.

peggybraswell said...

A tree with lights + a wreath for the door + dinner for good friends + adoring children + what more could I ask for? nothing! xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

Glamour Drops said...

this year, i am falling, kerplonk, between category 1 and 2…working right up to christmas eve, so little time for much else….but somehow, this year, that feels what is right…i am just looking forward to spending time out with family…

but of course i have to agree that dressing up in something outrageously decadent, such as these bejewelled beauties, injects an immediate sense of splendour and magic and festivity…

tweedlibrarian said...

Those earrings are spectacular! I may need to find the perfect pair to make me feel more in the spirit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...